Although all the attention on Conor McGregor is on his fight this weekend against Dustin Poirier, “The Notorious” has a multimillion-dollar lawsuit that has been filed against him.
John Morgan asks Conor McGregor about the sexual assault allegations. Crowd boos. Conor denies allegations. Crowd cheers.
— Adam Martin (@MMAdamMartin) January 21, 2021
A woman and her mother are suing McGregor in a personal injury lawsuit, according to the Irish Independent.
The claims were filed Monday, with reports coming on Tuesday and a McGregor associate is also being listed as a co-defendant.
McGregor “has denied any wrongdoing” and stated the matter was previously the subject of an extensive investigation by An Garda Siochana; the national police service of the Republic of Ireland.
McGregor spokesperson Karen J. Kessler denied the allegations in a statement to the Independent:
“After an exhaustive investigation conducted by the Gardaí which, in addition to interviews of the plaintiff, included interviewing numerous sources, obtaining witnesses’ statements, examining closed circuit footage and the cooperation of Conor McGregor, these allegations were categorically rejected. The plaintiff knows the facts contradict the assertions in this lawsuit. Mr. McGregor will dispute any claims and is confident that justice will prevail.”
The New York Times, obtained the statement of claim in the suit, which involves an allegation of rape at a hotel in December 2018.
According to the reports, McGregor and his accuser grew up in the same area and have had previous social interactions.
ESPN breaks the GM sending dick pics scandal but completely ignores how many sexual assault claims against Connor McGregor? Like we just pretend they don't exist huh
— Nick Matthew (@nickhawks411) January 21, 2021
The two exchanged “flirtatious” messages via Instagram on Dec. 9, 2018, according to the Times. Next, McGregor’s driver picked up the unidentified woman up to go to the hotel for what she believed was a party.
The Times states that during the drive, an illegal substance was made available and the woman took used it. Next, when she arrived at the hotel penthouse, McGregor summoned her into the bedroom, repeatedly demanding she perform a “lewd” act against her will.
McGregor then allegedly kissed the woman and removed her clothes despite her claims of fighting back. The woman then allegedly “bit and hit” McGregor, who wrapped his arms around her neck and lifted her three times.
McGregor then allegedly said:
“That’s how I felt in the octagon, I had to tap myself out three times, that’s how I felt.”
McGregor then allegedly raped her, making her stay in the bed. Later that evening, the woman woke up and was given a drink by McGregor’s friend.
She claims to have no recollection of what happened after that, except for a taxicab ride later that day.
Connor McGregor is now being sued by 1 of the 3 women he is currently facing sexual assault charges against. Why is the UFC rewarding him with a multi million dollar payday? When will sports teams get with the times? ITS NOT COOL ASSAULTING WOMEN!
— Tochinoshin Nyce (@Tochinoshin33) January 19, 2021
Police later told the woman that McGregor’s friend claimed to have had sex with her. However, she has no recollection of it and, according to her statement, did not consent.
Upon her arrival home, the woman’s mother called for an ambulance, was taken to a hospital, and examined by a sexual assault unit.
Bruising was found on her body, abrasions on her face, neck, and right breast. A month later, the woman notified police she had been allegedly raped.
The suit cites the alleged victim suffering from psychological and emotional damage from the alleged rape. She claims to have been unable to work since May 2019 and is seeking damages of $1.79-$2.13 million for past and future lost wages, altered living situations, and medical expenses.
“Proceedings have been served. We can make no further comment as the matter is before the courts,” said her attorney Dave Coleman, of Coleman Legal Partners, to the Independent.
Should the case reach trial, it will be held before a jury.
A “Notorious” Pattern
McGregor has created a pattern of running afoul of the law since his rise to fame.
— MMAFighting.com (@MMAFighting) April 5, 2018
Back in April 2018, he was arrested after throwing a dolly through a bus window in the bowels of the Barclays Center. The incident ignited his already simmering feud with former UFC lightweight champion Khabib Nurmagomedov.
Several UFC fighters were subsequently injured.
— Mojahed Fudailat (@MojahedFudailat) March 12, 2019
In March 2019, McGregor was arrested for stealing a fan’s phone in Miami. Then almost a month after that arrest, McGregor assaulted a man at a pub in Dublin.
The incident was caught on video and went viral.
In October 2019, reports revealed a second sexual assault allegation against McGregor from a different accuser.
Then in September 2020, McGregor was arrested in France on allegations of sexual assault and indecent exposure. McGregor was eventually released by officials.
No criminal charges have ever been filed against McGregor for the alleged sexual assaults.