With nine days away from the world’s most controversial boxing event, former world champion and top welterweight contender “Showtime” Shawn Porter has pulled out of his welterweight battle against former title challenger Thomas Dulorme. Porter withdrew from the match due to personal reasons, which included a death in his family.
In his stead, top welterweight challenger and 2008 Olympic bronze medalist Yordenis Ugas (19-3, 9 KOs) replaces Porter and now take on Dulorme (24-2, 18 KOs).
“On behalf of Mayweather Promotions we send our prayers and deepest condolences to the Porter family,” said Leonard Ellerbe, CEO of Mayweather Promotions via press release. “In boxing we have to deal with curveballs that constantly come at us. Thomas Dulorme has been training hard and is ready to face Yordenis Ugas. Ugas is a tough competitor that shouldn’t be overlooked, and Dulorme is ready. The fight fans are definitely in for an outstanding show between Dulorme and Ugas come Aug. 26.”
Yordenis Ugas Knockouts | Highlights | HD
Yordenis Ugs is a Cuban amateur boxer best known to win the lightweight 2005 World Amateur Boxing Championships at age 19 following Mario Kindelan. As an amateur he beat the likes of Roniel Iglesias, Yordan Frometa, Darleys Perez & Everton Lopez.
Porter was the originally scheduled opener for the FOX portion of the card and was slated to satiate the boxing purists who have lambasted the main event as “bad for boxing.” However, although not as large of a name, Ugas still satisfies the boxing resume of that audience.
“I have been training for this fight for several weeks now, I knew at the time Porter was going to be a tough challenger so I took training camp extremely serious,” said Dulorme via release. “Fighting on a card this big, you cannot doubt anyone in front of you. My new opponent doesn’t change much. All I can do is continue to stay focused and listen to my team and bring the best fight I can.”
Ugas is currently on a four-fight win streak with his last fight being a second round win by TKO over Nelson Lara in April. Dulorme, who has had bouts over Hank Lundy and fought and lost to Terence Crawford for the then-vacant WBO World Super Lightweight title, will be the biggest challenge in Ugas’ career.
Terence Crawford vs. Thomas Dulorme: HBO Boxing After Dark Highlights
Subscribe to the HBO Boxing YouTube Channel: http://www.youtube.com/c/hboboxing Highlights from Terence Crawford’s sixth-round TKO victory over Thomas Dulorme on April 18, 2015. See the full fight anytime on HBO GO or HBO Now. HBO Boxing on Instagram: http://instagram.com/hboboxing HBO Boxing on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/hboboxing HBO Boxing on Twitter: https://twitter.com/HBOboxing HBO Boxing Official Site: http://itsh.bo/HQslC8.
“It’s an honor to be fighting on one of the biggest boxing cards in history and fighting in the same ring as one of the most famous boxers in the world – Floyd Mayweather,” Ugas said. “This is the type of fight that I’ve been looking forward to having since I came back last year after being off for almost three years. This will be my fifth fight in a year. And this is the second fight that I’ve taken on short notice this year. But it doesn’t bother me because I’m always training. Dulorme is a tremendous fighter. He’s very aggressive and very technical. He’s going to get my very best as I know I will get the very best from him. It’s really an honor to fight a quality opponent on a card like this.’