1. Alabama – The Crimson Tide took a week off ahead of their clash against Texas A&M at Kyle Field this weekend, so there's not much else to report except that AJ McCarron's girlfriend, Katherine Webb, will appear in a Carls Jr ad during the game.
2. Oregon – The Ducks dismantled the Virginia Cavaliers quicker than Chip Kelly ruined RG3's welcome back party and will probably do the same to the Tennessee Vols at home. They've got the following week off before they head into conference play, so the Ducks will look to rack up some style points if they can. Their first obvious test will come in mid-October against Washington.
3. Clemson – Clemson beat South Carolina State 52-13, which pretty much sums it up. The Tigers won't play this weekend but do play on the road against NC State next Thursday. The Wolfpack took down Florida State last year just as the Seminoles were gearing up their national title hopes. NC State is a tough place to play on the road, particularly on a Thursday night. Could be a slip-up game for Clemson, especially for a program with a history of blowing BCS chances.
4. Ohio State – The Buckeyes have yet to play anyone with a pulse but travel West to face Cal this weekend. This game could be interesting because Cal plays Oregon the game after (they should probably fire whoever made that schedule) and this might be a useful barometer.
5. Stanford – After whooping up on San Diego State in their opener, Stanford has another warm-up game against Army. This is another team that will wait until October to really be challenged.
Here are the rest of the Top 25, per ESPN: