To commemorate the league’s historic 25th season, the WNBA has teamed up with WNBA Changemaker Google to identify the most-searched WNBA trends that span all 25 seasons since the league’s inception in 1997 to create the WNBA 25 Top Moments, ranked by Google search trends.
With the Houston Comets, we’re hot in the ’90s. Sheryl Swoopes, Cynthia Cooper and Tina Thompson, with Van Chancellor leading the way, formed the WNBA’s first super team, winning the league’s first four championships (97-2000).
Choose any number of record-breaking exploits by WNBA all-time leading scorer Diana Taurasi.
Breanna Stewart is already a legend and she stands strong behind her basketball sisters and strikes back against any attempt to demean the quality of the league.
The top moments will be ranked by a categorical grouping and unveiled over a five-day period, starting on Dec. 27 and running through Dec. 31.
Each of the 25 Moments will be categorized based on the respective search query topic the moment falls under.
Within each category, the moments will be ranked from No. 5 through No. 1 to bring a close to the WNBA’s landmark 25th Season. The categories that will be unveiled through the WNBA 25 Top Moments campaign umbrella are as follows:
- CULTURAL INFLUENCE: Since the league’s inception, the WNBA has made a significant impact across sports, music, fashion and culture. This category will illustrate the top cultural moments driven by consumer search trends.
- CHAMPIONSHIPS: The Championship category will identify the most compelling title-winning moments that consumers searched for throughout WNBA history. Like this LA Sparks unforgettable ending against the Minnesota Lynx in the 2016 WNBA Finals.
- WNBA ICONS: This category will highlight WNBA icons on the court and their legendary plays.
Who’s a more transformative icon than Tower of Power Lisa Leslie?
- ROOKIES OF THE WNBA: This category will spotlight notable WNBA rookie talent and their successes from draft night to their on-court rookie achievements.
Candace Parker has excelled at every level and right away.
- WNBA HISTORY: As the longest-standing professional women’s sports league in the U.S., there are several moments throughout WNBA history worth celebrating. This category will speak to what moments fans deem their favorite driven by search trends.
Social justice has been a driving platform for the WNBA.
To bring the campaign to a close on December 31, after the final category is unveiled, the league will release a roundtable featuring WNBA athletes discussing the league’s iconic players and historic moments, and the cultural influence and growth of the league over the past 25 years.
The roundtable is a comprehensive look at the WNBA’s past 25 years and an opportunity to highlight the up-and-coming stars of the league, which sets the stage for where the WNBA is headed over the next 25 years.
More news from our partners: