‘It Was Not Normal’| Former New Orleans Saints Player Glenn Foster Dies In Sheriff’s Department Custody In Alabama

Tragedy has struck the NFL.

On Monday, former New Orleans Saints defensive end Glenn Foster Jr. died in Alabama, some three days after he was arrested on traffic charges.

The Pickens County, Alabama, Medical Examiner & Coroner’s Office officials has confirmed the 31-year-old died but wouldn’t comment on Foster’s cause of death.

Suspicious Behavior

In addition no information has emerged regarding the location where he passed away. Since the case is under investigation, authorities claimed they could not disclose the details.

However, one fact is clear: Foster was in the Pickens County Jail the day before his death. Additionally, there is no sign that he was released from jail before he died.

News of Foster’s death wasn’t widely known until an Illinois state lawmaker posted a tribute on Twitter. Foster was originally from Chicago.

“No words right now. Rest Powerfully, Little Brother,” said Rep. Kam Buckner of the Illinois State House’s 26th District. “You left your mark everywhere you went. Glenn Foster, we love you bruh.”

Pass The Buck

According to reports, Pickens County Sheriff Todd Hall, who is in charge of the jail directed all inquiries to the Alabama State Bureau of Investigation.

On Tuesday, Foster’s family said they were preparing a statement.

Pickens County inmate records reflected that authorities booked Foster early Saturday morning. The counts against him were reckless endangerment, resisting arrest, and attempting to elude police.

The Receipts

The jail records show he was released from the first case at 3:14 p.m. Sunday. However, he was rebooked at 3:16 p.m. on simple assault and third-degree robbery charges.

No records indicate that he was released after being rebooked, which has left a cloud of suspicion over his death.

The Alabama Law Enforcement Agency reportedly has confirmed that Foster was in custody when he died. Foster’s body had been moved to the state’s forensic department as part of the inquiry.

“Nothing further is available as the investigation is ongoing,” the agency said to NBC News. “Once complete, the findings will be turned over to the Tuscaloosa County District Attorney’s Office.”

What Happened?

However, according to NOLA.com, Reform, Alabama Police Chief Richard Black said his officers first spotted Foster late Friday as he was driving at speeds up to 90 miles per hour in a 45 mph zone.

Kamara’s King Crunch | New Orleans Saints RB Alvin Kamara Launches Signature Cereal

His family has said Foster was driving to Atlanta on business. He owned businesses in New Orleans and Baton Rouge

That led to a state highway chase with speeds topping 100 mph. The pursuit crossed into the adjacent town of Gordo, where local police joined the chase.


When police placed a “spike strip” across the road that flattened all four of Foster’s tires, the pursuit stopped.

“He drove on the wrong side, he ran a couple of cars off the road, but he ended up slowing down in kind of a rolling roadblock,” Black said to NOLA.com.

New Orleans Saints Teams With Players Coalition For #SAYHERNAME Campaign

Foster wound up ascending a curb, crashing into a business and engaging in a “small, minor tussle” with officers, according to Black’s account. Officers handcuffed Foster and took him to the Pickens County Jail. No one was injured in the altercation, according to reports.

Mental Health Crisis

Foster was battling a bipolar diagnosis he received a decade earlier, his family says. Foster’s father told authorities that his son was diagnosed with bipolar disorder when he was around 20 years old.

He was able to manage the illness before the recent arrest.

Foster joined the University of Illinois football team in 2008. He then joined the New Orleans Saints in 2013 as an unsigned free agent. He was injured partially through the 2014 season, only appearing in five games.

The Saints cut Foster before the 2015 campaign.

Family Matters

A judge allowed the family to post a $500 cash bail for Foster’s release on the necessity that Foster go to the hospital. However, while the police chief and the family were waiting at the jail to get Foster on Sunday, “something happened,” Black said to NOLA.com.

“We went to bond him out and something happened at the jail and they wouldn’t let us get him,” Black said. “I really don’t know medically what was going on, but based on what I learned, it was not normal.”

More news from our partners:

Three Players Who Have Deeply Impacted College Football This Season | Shedeur Sanders, Bryce Young & Desmond Ridder For The Culture

‘I Need to Know What Happened to My Son’: Jelani Day’s Mom Issues Desperate Plea to FBI 100 Days After Son’s Suspicious Death

Rich Paul Partners with New Balance to Launch Shoe and Apparel Collection to ‘Empower’ Youth

Back to top