Former UCF RB Otis Anderson Jr. Killed By Father Over Dog Bite| Otis Anderson Sr. Charged With Murder

Former University of Central Florida football star Otis Anderson Jr. died in a double shooting Monday night in Jacksonville that also wounded his mother Denise. His father Otis Lee Anderson Sr. has been arrested and charged.

Otis Lee Anderson Sr. was arrested following the shooting and booked into Duval County Jail on Tuesday morning Nov. 30th. He is now accused of first-degree murder and first-degree attempted murder, and being held without bond.

Anderson Jr., had a successful football career at UCF, ranking second in all-time yards per carry average in school history. In four seasons he ran for 2,182 yards, caught for 1,025 and scored 26 touchdowns.

UCF’s Peach Bowl Win Proves That Ballers Ball No Matter The Conference

The official UCF football Twitter account tweeted the following:

He spent training camp with the Los Angeles Rams after going undrafted in the 2021 NFL draft, but was later cut from the practice squad.

‘Rams Have An Opportunity To Play A Super Bowl In Their Own Stadium’: Hall of Famer Isaac Bruce Says Mathew Stafford Is Key

The Rams offered condolences via Twitter.

Anderson Jr.’s mother Denise, who works as a JSO corrections officer, was treated for wounds and released. She is expected to recover.

Jacksonville Sheriff Mike Williams issued the following statement:

“The men and women of the Jacksonville Sheriff’s Office join me in mourning with the Anderson family as they deal with last night’s incredible tragedy.  While the investigation continues to be carried out, we would encourage everyone to keep the family in your prayers as they work through this very difficult time.”

According to reports around 9:23 p.m. Monday Nov. 29th, JSO officers were called for a complaint of a person shot in the 5200 block of Johnson Lake Court. When officers arrived, they found two victims with gunshot wounds, a man and a woman.

Anderson Jr. was suffering from at least one gunshot wound to the chest, and Denise was also suffering from multiple graze wounds.

Both Anderson Jr. and Denise were taken to the UF hospital for medical treatment, and Anderson Jr. was pronounced dead at the hospital. A second man was detained at the scene without incident, JSO said. He was interviewed by detectives.

According to TMZ, the altercation that led to the shooting stemmed from a dog bite. Anderson Jr.’s girlfriend’s dog had bitten Anderson Sr. The elder Anderson became enraged and began a verbal altercation with his son.

Anderson Jr. and Anderson Sr. were eventually separated, but Denise Anderson told police that Anderson Sr. returned from the garage and met Anderson Jr. in the kitchen.

The details after that are not yet clear at this time.

Several of his former UCF teammates posted condolences on social media.

His former coach Josh Heupel, posted a statement on Twitter, writing,

“Saddened and stunned by the passing of Otis Anderson Jr. Tough and gritty, fun and full of laughter, he made such a positive impact on our university, community, and our locker room. He was an unbelievable teammate. My condolences go out to the entire UCF family.”

Anderson Sr. appeared in front of a judge Tuesday afternoon Nov. 30, and appointed the public defender’s office to represent him. Anderson Sr.’s next court appearance is set for Dec. 22.

More from our partners:

Kareem Hunt Sr. Is The Latest Player’s Dad To Criticize Baker Mayfield | Time For The Browns To Admit They Got It Wrong At QB

‘Made the Tough Decision’: Couple Had Enough, Pulled Kids from Upstate New York School District After Years of Unchecked Racism

Your New Office Set-Up Is Going to Look a Lot Like the Old One


Back to top