The Last Part Of The New NCAA Rules Are The Most Telling

The NCAAs sweeping policy changes as it relates to college basketball players, coaches, agents and the overall corruptive nature of the NCAA recruiting process includes alterations to recruiting and Draft procedure, rule violation enforcement, academics, summer basketball tourneys and the NCAAs relationship with apparel companies.

The Shadow League on Twitter

A step in the right direction, but still not addressing major problems with the NCAA.

While the changes may benefit the 1% of elite student-athletes with a chance to go pro, the other 99% are now bombarded with more restrictions, while performing under extreme stress and making millions of dollars for the school with no monetary compensation.

The relationships between agents, coaches, and players — which falls at the center of the FBIs investigation into the NCAA —   was also addressed by the governing body. It was sort of swept under the rug like an attachment on a big bill about to pass in Senate. The NCAA made sure that it stayed in control of its student-athletes and their ability to make money or capitalize on their likeness while attending the school. 

Nothing in these new changes suggests that the NCAA recognizes the mistakes it has made in contributing to corruption. It shows a biased focus on a few elite D-1 hoopsters and reflects societys attitude at large towards student-athletes as faceless money-makers for hire.  

Via ESPN:Effective immediately, the NCAA will allow college players to be represented by NBPA-certified agents (the agents must become NCAA-certified no later than Aug. 1, 2020) beginning after any season, as long as they request an evaluation from the NBA Undergraduate Advisory Committee. Agents will be permitted to pay for meals and transportation for players and their families during the agent selection process and for meetings with pro teams if changes are made to existing agent acts and state laws.

SportsCenter on Twitter

NCAA announces new college basketball policies that include allowing players to be represented by agents who are certified by the NCAA and allowing undrafted players to return to school.

If the NBA and National Basketball Players Association change their rules and make high school basketball players eligible for the draft at age 18, as expected, they’ll be allowed to sign with an NCAA-certified agent starting July 1 before their senior year of high school, as long as they have been identified as an elite senior prospect by USA Basketball.

A USA Basketball official told ESPN that his group hadn’t yet approved some of the changes announced by the NCAA on Wednesday. Several NBA officials have also told ESPN that they didn’t think the league’s age requirement would be lowered to 18 until 2021 at the earliest.

The agent agreements must be in writing and will be terminated when the student enrolls or returns to college.”

With these slew of moves, the NCAA has garnered more control over which high school players can hire agents. USA Basketball will be their tool in this endeavor.  

Adrian Wojnarowski on Twitter

Few are pleased w/ NCAA’s handling of release. USA Basketball and the NBA were blindsided w/ NCAA dictating USAB would decide which HS players could eventually hire agents. USAB doesn’t have desire or infrastructure for those evaluations. If anyone has that expertise, it’s NBA.

Its another NCAA mess. The jargon seems favorable to players and extensive enough to actually tame boosters, AAU hoops, rule-infringing recruiters and other corruptive forces, but the NCAA now controls the fortunes of the elite high school prospects as well as the tournaments they can compete in and the agents they can hire. 

High school kids have to be even more careful than ever with their behavior. Any misstep could result in the NCAA declaring them ineligible to get an agent out of high school. High school hopefuls will have to kiss the butt of NCAA and USA hoops officials and coaches if they want to be eligible to get an agent. 

The governing body that critics say is predatorial and exploitive to student-athletes basically threw the big bills on top of the bag with these changes to appear understanding of a student athletes desire to go pro if a team will draft him. 

This only affects the elite athletes. 

Jay Bilas on Twitter

This is largely meaningless window dressing. Only Combine invitees can return? Only “elite” players can have agents? So, we only “care” about top rated guys? NCAA hasn’t even decided upon a coherent transfer policy yet.

Actually, the NCAA just gave a little, to get a lot. With these changes in policy, the NCAA appears strong on fighting corruption –– as if their rules and policies arent what drives the majority of infractions in the first place. They add more restrictive rules on everyone but themselves. They let the pros be pros and everyone else gets the noose tightened. Pockets stay dry as these student-athletes try to navigate the poverty and violation-filled landmines often associated with being state property at a major university. 

Adrian Wojnarowski on Twitter

NCAA declares that USA Basketball will be burdened with choosing which elite high school players can hire agents — a responsibility USA Basketball neither agreed upon or wants. Story on ESPN:

The NCAA will pick the high school players that fit their goals and their image objectives. I can just see the story about a USA basketball official getting paid by an agent to ensure that a specific player was allowed to have representation in high school. 

The NCAAs sweeping changes arent about anything more than control. The governing body is masterful at appearing to be doing the student-athletes a favor when they enact legislative changes. Whether it be Proposition 48, Proposition 16 or the increased restrictions on amateur hoops, coaches, the NCAA will ultimately keep its power as the eye in the sky and never hold itself accountable for anything corrupt, racist or exploitive in the sport of college basketball. 

What people are saying

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

Back to top