The saga surrounding jailed former UFC heavyweight champion Cain Velasquez has expanded, as he is now suing the man who is accused of molesting Goularte’s son.
The lawsuit accuses the 43-year-old Harry Goularte of negligence, sexual battery, and several other claims.
Velasquez filed a civil lawsuit on behalf of his 4-year-old son, claiming that the accused, 43-year-old Goularte, reportedly molested him at a home day care in San Martin, California. Goularte’s parents, mother, and stepfather, Paul Bender, are also named in the lawsuit and the day care.
Bender was shot in the road chase where Velasquez shot at a vehicle carrying Goularte, Goularte’s mother, and Bender.
— Cain Velasquez (@cainmma) April 29, 2022
“The Velasquez family claims Harry Goularte was allowed to spend time alone with the minor and other children on the property, including time he spent with children in a bathroom and a playhouse for extended periods of time,” according to the lawsuit, per the Los Angeles Times.
“The child-care business and its owners “fostered and maintained an environment” where the children could be molested, sexually abused and harassed, the Velasquez family said in its lawsuit. Velasquez’s son spent five days a week at the home from 2021 to 2022, according to the complaint filed in Santa Clara County Superior Court this week.”
In court, Mark Geragos, Velazquez’s attorney, identified the minor as Velasquez’s son, stating that Goularte allegedly touched the young boy “100 times.” Also, other children reportedly went into a bathroom at the child-care home with Goularte, said Geragos in court.
— Cain Velasquez (@cainmma) April 12, 2022
Goularte was charged with “lewd and lascivious acts with a minor,” in late February and was released into a supervised program two days after his arrest. Velasquez allegedly followed Goularte and his family and fired a 40-caliber semiautomatic handgun.
Velasquez, 39, was arrested the next day and charged with attempted murder and multiple gun assault charges. He was denied bail twice, most recently on May 16 for what the judge called “reckless disregard for human life.” Velasquez returns to court in August and faces 20 years in prison if convicted.
The situation sent a ripple through the mixed martial arts community with them showing support for a man who was attempting to protect his family in their purview.
“I have known Mr. Velasquez for more than 15 years, and during his time as an active athlete with UFC, he represented our company with dignity and always treated others with respect,” UFC president Dana White said in a letter, according to ESPN. “He was a model example of how a professional athlete should carry himself, projecting a positive image to UFC’s fanbase.”
“Cain has helped me on more occasions than I can count,” wrote former UFC double champion and current commentator Daniel Cormier in his letter. “Like me, he is a father and husband, so he knows the demand of trying to do it all. Throughout the years, he has traveled with me, supported me, and even helped me prepare for a coaching job at the high school while I retired from my fighter career.
The man who Cain Velasquez targeted earlier this year has been sued over molestation allegations pic.twitter.com/QN2XQzIC5N
— My Mixtapez (@mymixtapez) June 29, 2022
“Cain has taken it upon himself to help every chance he gets. During the pandemic, when many gyms and restaurants were closed, Cain opened his home and provided a place for wrestlers to train and eat. He even housed them.”
Velasquez’s case pits raw emotion versus logical legal action, and as it unfurls, our collective conscience is being tested.